“At HM Gin we are a father daughter duo on a mission to make everyone a gin lover.
We are focused on crafting quality gin that is rich in flavour and smooth to taste, over ice or mixed.”
Amy & Gavin Shaw (creators)
The HM Gin story, like all good stories do, started over a long lunch! Gavin, HM Gin’s head distiller (and co-creator) was discussing how he’d always thought about making wine but now that he was entering his 60’s, and with the length of time it takes to make great wine, it was probably past him. His mate, let’s call him Gary, suggested he make spirits instead and with Gavin’s degree in Applied Chemistry it all made sense, even near the end of their long lunch.
As Melbourne entered yet another lockdown in 2020 we started experimenting in the family shed. From that moment on Gavin and I caught some kind of gin bug – we were obsessed with distilling and flavour experimentation. It was after our first batch of Orange Squeeze that we knew we had to start sharing our gins with the world.
If you had of told either of us 2 years ago that we would soon be running a gin distillery neither of us would have believed you.
We make gin because we love and have fun doing it. We’ve both had careers in different industries and growing HM Gin is just simply fun. We want all the gin lovers to have just as much fun enjoying HM gin as we do making it.
As a father daughter duo everything we do comes back to family, creating and sharing memories together. This extends to all the gin lovers, through our gins and hospitality they will fell a part of the family and will create and share their own memories over HM Gin.
What does HM Gin/Hillmartin stand for ?
Well that’s a great question, thanks for asking! Hillmartin Distillery is named after the street where the current distillery is located. Hillmartin was shortened to HM and that’s how you get HM Gin.
Visit our gin store
Commitment to continuous learning
With a background in Applied Science and a major in Applied Chemistry, our Head Distiller Gavin Shaw has a fascination experimenting with different Australian botanicals and production techniques to make a perfect range of Gins. We are meticulous in ensuring a consistent flavour by controlling the quality of botanicals, distillation process and final product checks.
At HM Gin we are committed to being at the forefront of gin development and new and better ways to make your favourite drink.
We are proud members of the Australian Distillers Association.
The Australian Distillers Association is the peak industry body for Australian distillers, and was founded in 2004. Our Association aims to:
- Nurture the union of Australian distillers by promoting industry activities which further strengthen the distillers community
- Create opportunities to share information through industry forums and workshops
- Promote the knowledge and science of distillation
- Support the introduction of an Australian Spirits competition
- Lobby and work with established government and non-government organisations who share similar goals and philosophies
- Encourage and invite allied industry and consumer enthusiasts to become involved with ADA activities and events
- Provide education on Australian distillers and their products
- Promote the responsible consumption of alcohol